Subject: Re: Estonia flag application process / OSM Thome Latvia
From: "Paula Podniece" <[email-masked]>
To: "Raul Tell" <[email-masked]>, "info transpordiamet" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "OSM Thome Latvia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2025 13:53:57 +0300

Dear Raul,

We appreciate your swift response, thank you. Our questions have been 
answered, and if anything else comes up, we will reach out.

PAULA PODNIECE

Crewing Officer

OSM Crew Management Latvia, SIA

OSM Thome

No. 70-6, Balasta Dambis, Riga, LV-1048, Latvia
M: +371 26364748
www.osmthome.com <https://www.osmthome.com/>

 <https://www.linkedin.com/company/osm-thome/posts/?feedView=all>     
<https://www.facebook.com/osmthome>     
<https://www.instagram.com/osmthome/>     <https://x.com/osmthome>     
<https://www.youtube.com/@osmthome>

Disclaimer

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL SUPPLIERS/VENDORS/GOODS & SERVICES PROVIDERS: OSM 
THOME ACTING AS AGENTS ONLY, FOR AND ON BEHALF OF PRINCIPAL
As third-party management company, the respective OSM Thome enter into 
agency type of contract with our principal (Ship owner and/or Ship 
operator). All procurement for good(s) and/or service(s) are obtained or to 
be obtained for the benefit of our principal and/or the Vessel(s) we manage 
on behalf of our principal. Negotiation(s), request for quotation(s), 
purchase order(s), agreement(s) and alike, for the procurement of good(s) 
and/or service(s) in relation to the management of the Vessel(s) are handled 
by OSM Thome/Axia as agents for and on behalf of our principal. The 
Principal shall be liable for any obligations arising from or in connection 
with such procurement of good(s) and/or service(s) to the Vessel(s) under 
our management and OSM Thome and Axia is under no circumstances liable for 
such quotation(s), purchase order(s), agreement(s) and alike, for the 
procurement of good(s) and/or service(s) in relation to the management of 
the Vessel(s).

  _____

From: Raul Tell <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2025 1:29 PM
To: Paula Podniece <[email-masked]>; info transpordiamet 
<[email-masked]>
Cc: OSM Thome Latvia <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Estonia flag application process / OSM Thome Latvia

[email-masked] saada teile sageli meilisõnumeid. 
<https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification> Lugege täpsemat teavet selle 
kohta, miks see on oluline

Dear Ms Podniece,

Good afternoon. In response to your questions: there are no limitations on 
seafarers in the Russian Federation except for the Master. The limitation to 
Master is based on Law of Ship Flag and Ship Registers Act § 3 
(https://www.riigiteataja.ee/en/eli/520032025011/consolide).  The ship's 
management must have Estonian endorsements and the management level must 
have passed the legislation exam (usually an on-line, guidence to exams - 
Circular 17.04.2023; Guidance for passing the online examination - 
<https://www.transpordiamet.ee/en/safety-and-supervision/maritime-safety/estonian-transport-administrations-circulars#2023> 
https://www.transpordiamet.ee/en/safety-and-supervision/maritime-safety/estonian-transport-administrations-circulars#2023). 
There are no requirements for the seafarers' discharge book. Applications 
are submitted by the seafarer himself (e.g. to obtain a personal code). An 
application for the seafarer's knowledge of the legislation exam is 
submitted by the crewing company, as well as for an endorsements. The state 
fee is paid by either the company or the seafarer himself. The time for the 
law exam is 60 minutes. Additional information is available on Transport 
Administration website: 
<https://www.transpordiamet.ee/en/maritime-and-waterways/mariners/marine-staff-certification> 
https://www.transpordiamet.ee/en/maritime-and-waterways/mariners/marine-staff-certification.

Kind regards,

Raul Tell

Head of Seafarer’s Certification Department

Mobile: +372 5166299

 <http://www.transpordiamet.ee/> www.transpordiamet.ee

       Valge 4 / 11413 Tallinn / Estonia

       Estonian Transport Administration

From: Paula Podniece <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2025 10:33 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: OSM Thome Latvia <[email-masked]>
Subject: Estonia flag application process / OSM Thome Latvia

Dear Estonian Transport Administration,

We are OSM Crew Management Latvia, a crewing company, and we have been 
informed that one of the vessels we are working with, GEOQUIP SILVRETTA, 
will be reflagged under the Estonian flag sometime after Easter, to the best 
of our knowledge. As this is our first time working with your flag, we hope 
you will be able to assist us with a few clarifications.

At this stage, it appears that part of the crew will be Russian passport 
holders. Based on our understanding, there are no restrictions for Russian 
nationals to serve on vessels under the Estonian flag — could you kindly 
confirm this? Additionally, the vessel is expected to have a Russian Master 
holding Russian certificates. While we have not yet received all relevant 
details, we would appreciate your guidance on whether there are any 
restrictions or requirements we should be aware of, particularly if the 
vessel will operate within Estonian waters. Are crew members with Russian 
nationality and certification permitted to work under the Estonian flag in 
such cases?

Before we begin submitting applications, could you kindly assist us with a 
few questions for which we still need clarification? We have reviewed the 
requirements for obtaining Estonian flag endorsements, but there are a few 
points that we would like to better understand.

*	Could you kindly clarify whether ratings working under the Estonian flag 
are also required to hold Estonian flag documents (such as an Estonian 
Seaman's Book), or are flag endorsements only mandatory for officers at the 
operational and management levels?

*	Are we, as the crewing company, allowed to submit initial applications to 
the Flag Authority on behalf of the seafarers, or must the seafarers 
complete the process themselves?

*	Can endorsements be delivered by courier, or must they be collected in 
person?

*	Can the payment for the relevant fees (State Fee of €75 for the 
examination, CRA State Fee of €100, and State Fee of €60 for the 
endorsement) be made under the company’s details, or must it be paid 
directly by the applicant?

*	What is the approximate duration of the examination for management-level 
seafarers?

PAULA PODNIECE

Crewing Officer

OSM Crew Management Latvia, SIA

OSM Thome

No. 70-6, Balasta Dambis, Riga, LV-1048, Latvia
M: +371 26364748
 <https://www.osmthome.com/> www.osmthome.com

 <https://www.linkedin.com/company/osm-thome/posts/?feedView=all>     
<https://www.facebook.com/osmthome>     
<https://www.instagram.com/osmthome/>     <https://x.com/osmthome>     
<https://www.youtube.com/@osmthome>

Disclaimer

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL SUPPLIERS/VENDORS/GOODS & SERVICES PROVIDERS: OSM 
THOME ACTING AS AGENTS ONLY, FOR AND ON BEHALF OF PRINCIPAL
As third-party management company, the respective OSM Thome enter into 
agency type of contract with our principal (Ship owner and/or Ship 
operator). All procurement for good(s) and/or service(s) are obtained or to 
be obtained for the benefit of our principal and/or the Vessel(s) we manage 
on behalf of our principal. Negotiation(s), request for quotation(s), 
purchase order(s), agreement(s) and alike, for the procurement of good(s) 
and/or service(s) in relation to the management of the Vessel(s) are handled 
by OSM Thome/Axia as agents for and on behalf of our principal. The 
Principal shall be liable for any obligations arising from or in connection 
with such procurement of good(s) and/or service(s) to the Vessel(s) under 
our management and OSM Thome and Axia is under no circumstances liable for 
such quotation(s), purchase order(s), agreement(s) and alike, for the 
procurement of good(s) and/or service(s) in relation to the management of 
the Vessel(s).

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
Disclaimer: This message (including any attachments) contains confidential 
information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected 
by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this 
message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or 
distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is 
strictly prohibited.

---

Kiri on saadetud väljastpoolt valitsemisala.  Ärge avage kirjaga kaasa 
tulnud linke või manuseid enne, kui olete saatja õigsuses ja sisu 
turvalisuses kindel.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
Disclaimer: This message (including any attachments) contains confidential 
information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected 
by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this 
message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or 
distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is 
strictly prohibited.

---

Kiri on saadetud väljastpoolt valitsemisala.  Ärge avage kirjaga kaasa 
tulnud linke või manuseid enne, kui olete saatja õigsuses ja sisu 
turvalisuses kindel.